Kyle Martino: The LGBT.Soccer Pick for USSF President
Kyle Martino is LGBT.Soccer’s pick for the President of the US Soccer Federation following a poll of the readership.
Martino received an overwhelming 65% of the readership vote. The remaining 35% of the vote was split among five other candidates. Two candidates received zero votes. Respondents identified themselves as fans, supporters group members, players, and staff.
Voters appreciated both the plans Martino has put forward for US Soccer and his being a voice for LGBT equality. Here’s what some had to say about Kyle Martino:
“He’s the only candidate who has put out a detailed and achievable set of goals for the federation. I don’t love individual pieces of his plan (shifting the MLS calendar to the “international” schedule, for example), but I still prefer him to all of the other candidates.”
“Martino is an ideal compromise candidate who understands the game from several perspectives (player, media). He appreciates the need to force USSF to evolve, rather than taking a wrecking ball to the institution.” – Alec
“Kyle was the first to respond to this survey, and for me, he is the only viable candidate who understands and respects the LGBT community.” – Greg
We wish Kyle Martino the best in the upcoming election and hope issues important to the LGBT community remain a part of the conversation throughout the rest of this process.